Friday, April 27, 2012

Update

Well, after some correspondence it is clear that the clerical mind is so far up the institutional fundamentum that it cannot understand what the issues are except from a clerical point of view. The abyss is indeed unbridgeable, and the issues too human and too subtle.

But the danger here is that encouraging the infantilisation of solitaries only reflects the infantilisation that the clericus on both sides of the Pond seeks to inflict on the bums in pews—which is why there are fewer and fewer of them. The issues surrounding the treatment of solitaries are those of the wider church.

It is futile to hope that those clergy involved in this issue would be anything but deaf—as they are deaf to the laity in general.

Does anyone hear the echo of the Middle Ages when a lot of male clerics, wanting to raise their status, wrote absurd rules for anchorites, so filling up their space with devotional kitsch that there was no space for contemplation? Plus ça change...

----

A comment (still have not figured out this dreadful new Blogger format) from Ray:

Maggie,

Checked out your blog last week and today. Sorry there are so many unenlightened people in high places.

This came to mind (please alter the "male" language 8^) ) :

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle.
Phillips Brooks
US Episcopal bishop (1835 - 1893)
I pray for your centeredness and calm.
Blessings in Easter!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gloriamarie Amalfitano said...

Oh how hear you about the infantilism of the solitary. It happened to me. I professed my vows as a novice... Bishop and rector practically gaga over a monastic vocation in their lifetime. And then I was stalled. My behavior was subjected to such over zealous observation I felt I was on display or on the stage. And then a coupla years later my rector let fall the comment that neither bishop or rector had any idea what to do about my formation. Did they ask me? Of course not. It all felt very patriarchal and now I feel as if I and my vocation are floating around in limbo. I've offered my vows directly to the Lord. But that doesn't fit quite right either. What I really can't get past is that I would have thought that TEC would want people to give their all for Christ. Not get in the way.

7:03 pm, April 27, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home